About our work
New Perimeter lawyers collaborate with in-house counsel from General Electric and DLA Piper's African member firm, Chibesakunda & Co. Advocates to train graduate law students at the Zambia Institute of Advanced Legal Education (ZIALE) on negotiation and legal drafting skills. Through a combination of practical group exercises, simulations and case studies, students are exposed to different issues and documents each day. Course topics include negotiating dispute resolution clauses and drafting agreements related to sale and purchases, joint ventures and loans. The objective of the course is to support Zambia's lawyers and legal institutions by building the capacity and skills of ZIALE through the introduction of new teaching methodologies and materials. The project also aims to increase the capacity and skills of the country's next generation of lawyers.
- Develop and deliver courses on negotiation and legal drafting skills to students at the Zambia Institute of Advanced Legal Education (ZIALE)
- More than 940 students have completed the week-long course.
- In-house counsel from GE and lawyers from DLA Piper Africa member firm in Zambia, Chibesakunda & Co., partner with DLA Piper on this project.
- The course has become part of the curriculum at ZIALE.
- Approximately 50 DLA Piper lawyers and staff from 20 offices from around the world have provided over 5,000 pro bono hours to the ZIALE project.
I'll definitely use this training when I begin to practice law. It will help me draft better and clearer documents in the future.”
This training will help me draft and write with clarity, be concise and yet communicate what is required.”
I intend on specialising as a commercial lawyer and everything I have learn this week will be extremely important and relevant to my chosen field of specialisation including drafting engagement letters.”