About our work
At the request of the Partnership for Responsible Financial Inclusion, a collaborative effort by the CEOs of ten leading global microfinance organizations, a New Perimeter team of lawyers drafted a model legal framework (MLF) and extensive commentary on financial protection for clients of microfinance and other financial institutions. The MLF is intended to be used by policy makers as a tool in developing new laws and to facilitate adoption in parts, where individual sections or provisions may be adopted to fill in legal or regulatory gaps.
- Draft the MLF and commentary
- Deliver training to regulators in Latin America and Africa on the MLF, in collaboration with Accion and others
- Help update the MLF to incorporate new guidelines and recommendations
- The MLF and commentary are the legislative counterparts to the Smart Campaign’s Client Protection Principles, which represent a global consensus regarding the minimum standards of conduct and treatment microfinance clients should receive from financial service providers.
- The New Perimeter team conducted a broad survey of experts, relevant scholarship and existing laws and regulations from countries across the globe to inform their work.
Serving as the lead draftsman for the model law and commentary for financial consumer protection with New Perimeter was immensely satisfying. I had an opportunity to think about complex, difficult issues and discuss and debate solutions with leaders in the field - and to see the final product receive such a positive reception has made me awfully proud.”
Social and economic development
2014 – Ongoing