About our work
At the request of the Partnership for Responsible Financial Inclusion, a collaborative effort by the CEOs of leading global microfinance organizations, and in partnership with Accion, a New Perimeter team of lawyers drafted a model legal framework and extensive commentary on financial protection for clients of microfinance and other financial institutions. New Perimeter helped update the resource to incorporate new recommendations, particularly in the area of digital finance. The Handbook on Consumer Protection for Inclusive Finance was released in 2019. The Handbook is intended as a resource for financial consumer protection policymakers by providing model language, illustrative examples, and actionable recommendations.
- Draft the model legal framework and commentary.
- Deliver training to regulators in Latin America and Africa in collaboration with Accion and others
- Help update the resource to incorporate new guidelines and recommendations
- The Handbook on Consumer Protection for Inclusive Finance presents updated and revised guidance for consumer financial protection regulators organized around the Smart Campaign’s Client Protection Principles, which represent a global consensus regarding the minimum standards of conduct and treatment microfinance clients should receive from financial service providers.
- The New Perimeter team conducted a broad survey of experts, relevant scholarship and existing laws and regulations from countries across the globe to inform their work.
Serving as the lead draftsman for the model law and commentary for financial consumer protection with New Perimeter was immensely satisfying. I had an opportunity to think about complex, difficult issues and discuss and debate solutions with leaders in the field - and to see the final product receive such a positive reception has made me awfully proud.”
Social and economic development
2014 – 2019